SFWA Bulletin [v4 #2, #17, April 1968] ed. Terry Carr (Science Fiction Writers Association, 28pp, octavo s/s)
There are also two cartoons by Jack Gaughan featuring robots being threatened by huge ocean breakers labeled The New Wave. Details supplied by Bud Webster.
- Obituary: Anthony Boucher · [The Editor] · ob
- On Disputes Between SFWA Members · Robert Silverberg · ar; about the threatened lawsuit between Judith Merril and Harlan Ellison over his use of an unsympathetic character named Judith Merle in a Man from U.N.C.L.E."script. Prez Silverberg proposes ...a system of settling disputes either by arbitration or mediation" in order to forestall future conflicts which could have deleterious effects on both parties.
- Nebula Report · Robert Silverberg · ar; A three-page report, including winners of the 67 Nebs (100 ballotswere sent in, not counting three that ...came in after the deadline, but would have had no material effect on the results if they had been counted; rules for the 1967 Nebulas; and an invitation for nominations for the 68 awards.
- NyCon donation to SFWA · Terry Carr · ar; detailing a $100 donation to the SFWA treasury by Ted White on behalf of the 67 WorldCon. It is by far the largest single donation in SFWA history....
- Hugo Nominations 1968 · Anon. · ms; Almost half of the dozen short works nominated came from Dangerous Visions. Editor Carr added As a result of the tragic death of Anthony Boucher, who was to have been toastmaster at the convention banquet, Robert Silverberg has been asked to fill in for him. Harlan Ellison will present the Hugos.
- New York Nebula Awards Banquet 1968 · Jay Kay Klein · ar; ...I was startled to find Raymond Z. Gallun there. Last time Id seen him was back in a 1948 Queens Science Fiction League meeting. Also on hand, surprisingly enough, was Milton A. Rothman, formerly Lee Gregor, but now a Big Time Scientist, who istrying to invent Fusion Power. Kleins writing here, as elsewhere, is playful and engaging; I wish Id had more of an opportunity to get to know him.
- Nebula Awrds Banquet, SFWA West, 1968 · Poul Anderson · ar; The whole affair had been organized and was under the joint chairmanship of Poul Anderson, Harry Harrison and Joe Poyer. This triumverate had corresponded at length beforehand, and met in person the evening before to lay plans. The trouble paid off in a smoothly running day. At last most of the people on hand went upstairs for a party which lasted till all hours.; Following this report are two pages of photos of the ceremonies, featuring Peter Beagle (speaker to theWest Coast), Gahan Wilson (who was the featured speaker in NYC), Fritz Leiber, Chip Delany and Michael Moorcock.
- Correspondence · [The Readers] · lc; with letters from Ed Ferman and William Sambrot, not to mention Harrison and Chum Barry, both of whom write to announce Harrisons stepping down as editor of AMAZING/FANTASTIC and Barry taking over. BULLETIN editor Carr adds this note: Barry Malzberg writes science fiction under the penname K. M. ODonnell.
- Meet the Editors · Anon. · cl [Diane Cleaver; Marc Haefele]; This time, Doubleday eds. Diane Cleaver and Marc Haefele.
- People and Places · Anon. · cl; announcements of the death of Vincent Schoepflin (Harl Vincent), the upcoming 13th annual Milford conference, the establishment of the Galaxy award for best story in GALAXY or IF. Also, Ed Ferman wanted contact info for Ron Webb and Mose Malette, neither of whom Ive ever heard. Webb was apparently a pseudonym for Sharon Webb, and ISFDB shows that Mallette (note correct spelling) only published two stories, both in F&SF.
- Market Report · Anon. · cl; Includes Mirage Press (Our runs are not large enough to make any fortunes, but we do offer some additional-income on a work, and a hardcover, attractive book for library and general book trade sale.), Orbit (...under ; inventoried, says Damon Knight), and appropriately enough, Weybright and Talley, Inc., which had ...recently published Mervyn Peakes Gormenghast Trilogy and THE LAST STARSHIP FROM EARTH by John Boyd; they would like to continue publishing one or two sf or fantasy novelsa year. Hey, every little bit helps.