SFWA Bulletin [v7 #4, #28, February 1970] ed. Barry Malzberg (Science Fiction Writers Association, 20pp, octavo s/s)
Details supplied by Bud Webster.
- [illustrations] · Jack Gaughan · il
- 1 · Nebula Awards Banquets, 1970 · Anon. · ar; Once again, the Nebs were to be held in three very disparate places, NYC,; New Orleans and Berkeley. The latter Banquet was organized by Alva Rogers,; Greg Benford and Chelsea Quinn Yarbro.
- 2 · From the Secretary-Treasurer · Anne McCaffrey · cl; Responding to the requests of many members, and because efficient equipment; is a felt want, SFWA purchased a used #360 Gestetner in excellent condition; for $345....It will facilitate the production of the FORUM... How...faanish.; Also, the colophon mentions that the Managing Editor is Joyce Malzberg, and; that typesetting was done on an IBM Selectric. When did Ted White cease; doing it in his basement along with CRAWDADDY?
- 3 · Obituary - Evelyn del Rey · Robert Silverberg · ob; Heartfelt and affectionate, he writes Shrewd, witty, capable of loving and; receiving love, she brought laughter and grace wherever she went. And though; she was a strong-minded woman in a field marked by clashing egos, she had,; so far as Im aware, no enemies at all. lovely, Bob.
- 4-5 · Eire - A Writers Paradise · Harry Harrison · ar; about the advantages and drawbacks to living in Ireland under Articlea 1 & 2; of the Finance Act. Bob Shaw, Irishman himself...states that a writer could; rent a simple country cottage for 2 pounds a week and buy enough food to; cook for another 2 quid. So a bit less than ten dollars a week would cover; all expenses. $500 a year! At some point, Sec-Treas McCaffrey must have; taken him at his word.
- 6-13 · The Doubleday Contract · Damon Knight · ar; fourth in a series, prefaced by his About the Contract Articles. Each; BULLETIN contract article is offered to the publisgher for comment or; rebuttal. Doubleday received a copy of this one, but declined to discuss; it. Bob, Barry, how successful were these articles in persuading the; publishers?
- 13 · Nebula Nominations · Anon. · ms; including PKDicks A. Lincoln, Simulacrum, published as We Can Build You by DAW in 72.
- 14-16 · What Can Be Found on Other Worlds? (Analysis of the Unknown) · Alexis Tsvetikov · ar; It appears to be possible that the following little investigation would be; of some interest and use to the science fiction Writers. It shows them; roughly what kind of aliens and their environment authors may consider; populating their distant worlds. What follows is certainly beyond my; capabilities, but Id love for somebody to explain it to me in small words.; Its followed by a note from Ms McCaffrey: The above article is obviously; complimentary to How to Build a Planet by Poul Anderson, BULLETIN, Vol. 2,; No. 6, Whole No. 9.
- 16 · New Members · Anon. · cl; includws Jack Dann and Robert Weinberg, not to mention the reinstatement of Bester and Delany.
- 17-19 · People and Places · Anon. · cl; in which Judy Merril announces ...the wedding of her daughter, Ann Pohl to; Alan Reed, and that James Blish signed with Doubleday ...to do a; definitive, two-volume history of witchcraft and demonology. As I can find; no record of this, would I be correct in assuming that this turned into the; After Such Knowledge books?
- 19 · Note · Gordon Dickson · ms; preface to the Market Report indicating that ...no more marketplace; announcements for Ultimate Publications (AMAZING, FANTASTIC, and certain; reprint magazines) will be run until further notice for the following; reasons: Several SFWA members have complained that manuscripts submitted at; Ultimate have neiher been accepted nor returned and requests for returns; have been ignored.
- 20 · Market Report · Anon. · cl; NEW DIMENSIONS: Robert Silverberg reports that this volume has now been; closed. There is a good possibility for a successor but at present he does; not want submissions. The membership will be notified. So, Bob, whatever; happened with this one?