The Strand Magazine [v10, #56, August 1895] ed. H. Greenhough Smith (George Newnes, Ltd., 6d, 120pp, standard, cover by George C. Haité) (Full Text)
Details supplied by Mike Ashley.
- 123 · Gleams from the Dark Continent, II. The Wizard of Swazi Swamp [Dark Continent] · Charles J. Mansford · ss; illustrated by A. Pearse
- 132 · Illustrated Interviews, No. XLII. Mr. W. G. Grace, M.R.C.S., I.R.C.P. · F. W. W. (by Fred W. Ward) · iv [Ref. W. G. Grace]
- 145 · Stories from the Diary of a Doctor, Second Series, VIII. On a Charge of Forgery [Doctor Halifax] · L. T. Meade & Clifford Halifax, M.D. · ss; illustrated by Gordon Browne
- 161 · The Sea-Serpent · Alfred T. Story · ar
- 172 · Portraits of Celebrities at Different Times of Their Lives · [The Editor] · cl [Ref. Sir Arthur Arnold, Prince George, Duke of Cambridge, Felix François Faure & Helen Allingham]
- 176 · The Great Californian Heiress · Grant Allen · ss; illustrated by Paul Hardy
- 184 · Strange Devices · James Scott · ar; illustrated by James Scott
- 190 · The Ladies of Queen Victoria’s Court · [uncredited] · ar; Susanna Duchess of Roxburghe, Jane Lady Churchill, Ismania Lady Southampton, Emily Lady Ampthill, Eliza Viscountess Clifden, Elizabeth Dowager Duchess of Bedford, Caroline Lady Hamilton-Gordon, Nina Maria Ferguson, Lady Elizabeth Philippa Biddulph, Magdalen Wellesley, Georgina Townshend Wilson, Mary Frederica Lady Biddulph, Harriet Phipps, Emily Cathcart, Caroline Cavendish, Ethel Henrietta Cadogan, Frances M. Drummond, Evelyn L. Moore, Bertha Lambart, Mary Florentia Hughes, Aline Majendie, Mary E. Byng, & Judith Harbord.
- 201 · The Exploits of Brigadier Gerard, V. How the Brigadier Took the Field Against the Marshal Millefleurs [Brigadier Gerard] · A. Conan Doyle · ss; illustrated by W. B. Wollen
- 215 · Notable Families: I. The Gladstone Family · Albert H. Broadwell · ar [Ref. W. E. Gladstone, William Henry Gladstone, Agnes Wickham, Stephen Edward Gladstone, Jessy Gladstone, Mary Drew, Helen Gladstone, Henry Neville Gladstone & Herbert John Gladstone]
- 222 · Dorothee’s Kiss · Minnie Mortimer · ss; illustrated by A. Pearse
- 227 · From Behind the Speaker’s Chair · Henry W. Lucy · cl; illustrated by F. C. Gould
- 232 · Fables: The Result of Going to Law · J. A. Shepherd · ct [Ref. Jean de La Fontaine]
based on the fable by Jean de La Fontaine also known as “The Wolf Accusing the Fox before the Monkey”.
- 236 · The Three Valleys · [uncredited] · ss; illustrated by H. R. Millar
translated from the German.