The Strand Magazine (US) [v10, #56, September 1895] ed. H. Greenhough Smith (International News Corporation, 10¢, 120pp, standard, cover by George C. Haité)
Details supplied by Ira B. Matetsky from issue at New York State Library. Reprint of the August 1895 (UK) issue.
- 123 · Gleams from the Dark Continent, II. The Wizard of Swazi Swamp [Dark Continent] · Charles J. Mansford · ss The Strand Magazine August 1895; illustrated by A. Pearse
- 132 · Illustrated Interviews, No. XLII. Mr. W. G. Grace, M.R.C.S., I.R.C.P. · F. W. W. (by Fred W. Ward) · iv The Strand Magazine August 1895 [Ref. W. G. Grace]
- 145 · Stories from the Diary of a Doctor, Second Series, VIII. On a Charge of Forgery [Doctor Halifax] · L. T. Meade & Clifford Halifax, M.D. · ss The Strand Magazine August 1895; illustrated by Gordon Browne
- 161 · The Sea-Serpent · Alfred T. Story · ar The Strand Magazine August 1895
- 172 · Portraits of Celebrities at Different Times of Their Lives · [The Editor] · cl The Strand Magazine August 1895 [Ref. Sir Arthur Arnold, Prince George, Duke of Cambridge, Felix François Faure & Helen Allingham]
- 176 · The Great Californian Heiress · Grant Allen · ss The Strand Magazine August 1895; illustrated by Paul Hardy
- 184 · Strange Devices · James Scott · ar The Strand Magazine August 1895; illustrated by James Scott
- 190 · The Ladies of Queen Victoria’s Court · [uncredited] · ar The Strand Magazine August 1895; Susanna Duchess of Roxburghe, Jane Lady Churchill, Ismania Lady Southampton, Emily Lady Ampthill, Eliza Viscountess Clifden, Elizabeth Dowager Duchess of Bedford, Caroline Lady Hamilton-Gordon, Nina Maria Ferguson, Lady Elizabeth Philippa Biddulph, Magdalen Wellesley, Georgina Townshend Wilson, Mary Frederica Lady Biddulph, Harriet Phipps, Emily Cathcart, Caroline Cavendish, Ethel Henrietta Cadogan, Frances M. Drummond, Evelyn L. Moore, Bertha Lambart, Mary Florentia Hughes, Aline Majendie, Mary E. Byng, & Judith Harbord.
- 201 · The Exploits of Brigadier Gerard, V. How the Brigadier Took the Field Against the Marshal Millefleurs [Brigadier Gerard] · A. Conan Doyle · ss The Strand Magazine August 1895; illustrated by W. B. Wollen
- 215 · Notable Families: I. The Gladstone Family · Albert H. Broadwell · ar The Strand Magazine August 1895 [Ref. W. E. Gladstone, William Henry Gladstone, Agnes Wickham, Stephen Edward Gladstone, Jessy Gladstone, Mary Drew, Helen Gladstone, Henry Neville Gladstone & Herbert John Gladstone]
- 222 · Dorothee’s Kiss · Minnie Mortimer · ss The Strand Magazine August 1895; illustrated by A. Pearse
- 227 · From Behind the Speaker’s Chair · Henry W. Lucy · cl The Strand Magazine August 1895; illustrated by F. C. Gould
- 232 · Fables: The Result of Going to Law · J. A. Shepherd · ct The Strand Magazine August 1895 [Ref. Jean de La Fontaine]
based on the fable by Jean de La Fontaine also known as “The Wolf Accusing the Fox before the Monkey”.
- 236 · The Three Valleys · [uncredited] · ss The Strand Magazine August 1895; illustrated by H. R. Millar
translated from the German.