Mans Conquest [v4 #6, January 1959] (quarto)
None of the features is labeled fiction, but its plain that several are. The way the text is structured, with inner thoughts revealed, dialogue impossible to be known from reality given verbaitim, lack of solid details, etc., betrays their origin in the minds of desperate hacks. Ill give the titles and authors, and perhaps some will be recognizable. Details supplied by Paul Di Filippo.
- The Paradise on Earth of Brother #12 · Cyrus W. Bell · ts; First the gals fell for Wilson; then the men fell for the gals. Andquicker than you can say Free-Lovea fantastic cult was born.
- Madman of the Islands · Charles Conroy · ts; With island after island, it was always the same for Mortelmans: the friendly welcome, the passionate native girlsthen the senseless slaughter that became the trademark of his schooner and the shame of every ship that sailed the Pacific.
- Hunters Choice · Everett Rawlings · ts; I took on Johnston because I liked him: All he wanted was to tell his grandchildren hed shot a tiger. But hed never seen blood beforea tigers or a mansand now it was too late.
- The White Shark of Roti · Harry Britt · ts; When they pulled Phil Jamison out of the Java Sea, he was too weak with shock to remember that the whole deal had smelled of blood from the beginningtoo numbed by terror to care that he had accomplished the impossible.
- Bordello on Dearborn Row · Henry Durling · ts; When the cops finally crashed Chicagos Everleigh Club, they caught High Society at its low-down best.
- The Incredible Saga of Sibley Scout · J. S. Qualey · ts; He had a name that nobody could say rightGraurd. But the smoke of his guns and the daring of his escapades spelled it out for all to see. And before he was through, even the Sioux nation could pronounce it. Here is his true story.