The Strand Magazine (US) [v10, #56, September 1895] ed. H. Greenhough Smith (International News Corporation, 10¢, 120pp, standard, cover by George C. Haité)
Details supplied by Ira B. Matetsky from issue at New York State Library. Reprint of the August 1895 (UK) issue.
- 123 · Gleams from the Dark Continent, II. The Wizard of Swazi Swamp [Dark Continent] · Charles J. Mansford · ss The Strand Magazine Aug 1895; illustrated by A. Pearse
- 132 · Illustrated Interviews, No. XLII. Mr. W. G. Grace, M.R.C.S., I.R.C.P. [W.G. Grace] · F. W. W. (by Fred W. Ward) · iv The Strand Magazine Aug 1895
- 145 · Stories from the Diary of a Doctor, Second Series, VIII. On a Charge of Forgery [Doctor Halifax] · L. T. Meade & Clifford Halifax, M.D. · ss The Strand Magazine Aug 1895; illustrated by Gordon Browne
- 161 · The Sea-Serpent · Alfred T. Story · ar The Strand Magazine Aug 1895
- 172 · Portraits of Celebrities at Different Times of Their Lives · [The Editor] · cl The Strand Magazine Aug 1895 [Sir Arthur Arnold; Prince George, Duke of Cambridge; François Felix Faure; Helen Allingham]
- 176 · The Great Californian Heiress · Grant Allen · ss The Strand Magazine Aug 1895; illustrated by Paul Hardy
- 184 · Strange Devices · James Scott · ar The Strand Magazine Aug 1895; illustrated by James Scott
- 190 · The Ladies of Queen Victorias Court · Anon. · ar The Strand Magazine Aug 1895; Susanna Duchess of Roxburghe, Jane Lady Churchill, Ismania Lady Southampton, Emily Lady Ampthill, Eliza Viscountess Clifden, Elizabeth Dowager Duchess of Bedford, Caroline Lady Hamilton-Gordon, Nina Maria Ferguson,; Lady Elizabeth Philippa Biddulph, Magdalen Wellesley, Georgina Townshend Wilson, Mary Frederica Lady Biddulph, Harriet Phipps, Emily Cathcart, Caroline Cavendish, Ethel Henrietta Cadogan, Frances M. Drummond, Evelyn L. Moore,; Bertha Lambart, Mary Florentia Hughes, Aline Majendie, Mary E. Byng, & Judith Harbord.
- 201 · The Exploits of Brigadier Gerard, V. How the Brigadier Took the Field Against the Marshal Millefleurs [Brigadier Gerard] · A. Conan Doyle · ss The Strand Magazine Aug 1895; illustrated by W. B. Wollen
- 215 · Notable Families: I. The Gladstone Family · Albert H. Broadwell · ar The Strand Magazine Aug 1895 [W. E. Gladstone; William Henry Gladstone; Agnes Wickham; Stephen Edward Gladstone; Jessy Gladstone; Mary Drew; Helen Gladstone; Henry Neville Gladstone; Herbert John Gladstone]
- 222 · Dorothees Kiss · Minnie Mortimer · ss The Strand Magazine Aug 1895; illustrated by A. Pearse
- 227 · From Behind the Speakers Chair · Henry W. Lucy · cl The Strand Magazine Aug 1895; illustrated by F. C. Gould
- 232 · Fables: The Result of Going to Law · Jean de La Fontaine; adapted by J. A. Shepherd · ct The Strand Magazine Aug 1895; based on the fable also known as The Wolf Accusing the Fox before the Monkey.; illustrated by J. A. Shepherd
- 236 · The Three Valleys · Anon. · ss The Strand Magazine Aug 1895; translated from the German.; illustrated by H. R. Millar