The Strand Magazine (US) [v12, #70, November, 1896] (International News Corporation, 10¢, 120pp+, standard) (Full Text)
Partial reprint of the October 1896 (UK) issue plus three items from elsewhere. Details supplied by Ira B. Matetsky from issue at New York State Library.
- 363 · Boy Sladen of the Band · Walter Wood · ss The Strand Magazine Oct 1896; illustrated by J. L. Wimbush
- 369 · Illustrated Interviews, No. L. Sir Howard Grubb, F.R.S., F.R.A.S., etc., etc. · William G. FitzGerald · iv The Strand Magazine Oct 1896
- 382 · La Vivandière · H. Herman Chilton · ss; illustrated by S. L. Wimbush
- 388 · Campaign Buttons · James Walter Smith · ar [George Dollar]; this is a variant of the article published under the name George Dollar in the November 1896 (UK) issue; it is unclear which came first.
- 391 · Sailor V.C.s · [The Editor] · ar The Strand Magazine Oct 1896 [Rear-Admiral C. D. Lucas; Lieutenant John Bythesea; John Edmund Commerell; W. Rickard; Arthur Mayo; Admiral Sir Nowell Salmon; Rear-Admiral A. K. Wilson; William Hall; Lieut.-Col. G. D. Dowell; Israel Harding; Rear-Admiral H. J. Raby; Edward Robinson; George Hinckley]; illustrated by C. J. Staniland
- 401 · The Adventures of a Man of Science, IV. The Sleeping Sickness [Paul Gilchrist] · L. T. Meade & Clifford Halifax, M.D. · ss The Strand Magazine Oct 1896; illustrated by J. Finnemore
- 415 · Nose-Improvers · L. S. Lewis · ar The Strand Magazine Oct 1896
- 419 · Idols, I. · Anon. · ar The Strand Magazine Oct 1896
- 425 · A Passion in the Desert · Balzac · ss The Strand Magazine Feb 1891; translated from the French (Une Passion dans le Désert, 1830).
- 433 · Portraits of Celebrities at Different Times of Their Lives · [The Editor] · cl (r) [Lawrence Alma-Tadema; Christine Nilsson; Henry Arthur Jones; Sir Benjamin Ward Richardson]
- 437 · Big-Game Hunters · Framley Steelcroft · ar The Strand Magazine Oct 1896 [Sir Robert Harvey, Bart.; J. Turner-Turner; H. Seton-Karr; T. W. Greenfield; William Gordon-Cumming; Captain George Campbell]
- 449 · An African Millionaire, V. The Episode of the Drawn Game [Colonel Clay] · Grant Allen · ss The Strand Magazine Oct 1896; illustrated by Gordon Browne
- 459 · Fables: The Fox at the Point of Death · J. A. Shepherd · ct The Strand Magazine Oct 1896; illustrated by J. A. Shepherd
- 464 · Leaders of the Bar [Part 1 of 2] · E. · ar The Strand Magazine Oct 1896 [Richard Everard Webster; Sir Robert B. Finlay; Sir Edward Clarke; Sir Frank Lockwood; James Francis Oswald; W. Bowen Rowlands; Benjamin Francis-Williams]
- 472 · The Prince and the Lions · Anon. · ss The Strand Magazine Oct 1896; translated from the Persian.; illustrated by H. R. Millar
- 477 · Curiosities · [The Readers] · ms The Strand Magazine Oct 1896